Job Title: Senior Backhoe Loader Validation Engineer
Salary: £45,00 – £55,000 depending on experience
Benefits: 27 days annual leave + bank holidays, Bonus, Share Scheme (50% Company Matched), Private Medical, Car Allowance £580pm depending on experience, Contributory Pension Scheme (Contribution double by Company up to 10%), Free Car Parking, Caterpillar Advantage website
Location: Desford, Leicester– visibility in Desford required but flexibility around projects and time zones will be considered
Hours: Full Time – 37.50 – start/finish times flexible due time zones
Travel: up to 25% to include Global
Relocation/Sponsorship: Not supported with this role
Closing Date: Friday 12 April
Job Reference: 190002SF
*Flexible Working will be considered*
Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent since 1925. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2018 sales and revenues of $54.722 billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. The company principally operates through its three primary segments – Construction Industries, Resource Industries and Energy & Transportation – and also provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
Building Construction Products at Leicester is dedicated to the design, development and manufacture of small construction machines, typically used on building and construction sites – Backhoe Loaders and Compact Wheel Loaders. Founded in 1952, Leicester was the first venture by Caterpillar, outside the United States. The Caterpillar Building Construction Products’ fabrication facility at Stockton uses the latest technology to cut, weld and machine all the major structures for use at its assembly plant at Leicester.
The Backhoe Loader (BHL) Engineering team is a global team spanning three continents. With design responsibility for the line-up of 13 Caterpillar Backhoe Loader models, the team conduct design and development activity in the areas of New Product Introduction, quality improvement and new features implementation, requiring a strong understanding of diverse market needs from the different sales regions and ingenuity to satisfy those needs in the best way, balancing machine performance and productivity, reliability, first time purchase cost, owning and operating cost, ease of manufacture and assembly, and so on.
An exciting opportunity exists in the BHL Engineering team for a Validation Engineer. With ultimate responsibility for all BHL test and validation activity, the role involves assembling and executing complex cross functional plans spanning several years, to prove out the functionality and reliability of the full range of BHL machines. It is a wide-ranging role dealing with the detail of individual activities and at the same time involving exposure to senior management during project reviews.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
• Organise DFMEA (Design Failure Modes & Effects Analysis) activity with the wider design team
• Work with test teams in the UK, US and India to construct and execute test and validation plans based on the DFMEA output, to mitigate the risks identified
• Provide regular status reports to NPI teams and senior management, identifying key issues and actions needed to resolve
• Maintain the detailed project plan governing the test and validation activity
• Work with design teams and reliability engineers to drive the closure of functional and reliability issues found during test and validation
• Participate in NPI Design Reviews to critique new designs in terms of risks and ways to validate / mitigate
• Participate in NPI Gateway Reviews to present the validation status against the NPI program requirements
• Oversee the fleet of BHL engineering machines, scheduling regular maintenance, and arrange to scrap or sell as appropriate
• Offer guidance and advice to the design teams regarding all kinds of BHL test and validation
NB. The panel cannot make assumptions when shortlisting therefore please demonstrate your qualifications and experience on your CV relevant to the criteria outlined.
Skills, experience & qualifications you will have;
• Experience of DFMEA
• High organised and able to manage multiple tasks
• Experience demonstrating successful project management
• Knowledge or experience of mobile machinery, design and operation
• Knowledge or experience of test & validation
• Strong analytical and a strong methodical, process mindset
• Ability to work flexibly across time zones with cross functional, multi-cultural teams
• Willingness to travel
• A strong team player
• Able to relate well to different levels of the organisation
Skills, experience & qualifications you may have;
• Bachelor’s degree (or international equivalent) in an accredited Engineering curriculum
• Experience of off highway machinery
• Experience NPI projects
Pending the number of applications, the criteria for the position may be enhanced to facilitate shortlisting.
To apply for this position please visit Log onto Caterpillar Careers (Careers > Search and apply > Experienced Professionals > paste the job number from then advert into the search box and then follow the application process).
To apply for this job please visit caterpillarcareers.ttcportals.com.